When to Rewire Your Home
The lights flicker, and an unusual smell wafts into the room, and you immediately know something is wrong. The hair on your arm stands on edge as you hear a strange groaning noise from within the walls.
If this scenario sounds scary, it’s because it is; faulty electrical wiring is among the most frequented ways houses catch fire. Once your old wires lose its protective sheathing and send inconsistent surges of power throughout your home, it only keeps you at risk of harm.
Below are some helpful tips that we share with area homeowners.
Flicking or Burnt Out Bulbs
You recently replaced that old light bulb with a newer CFL, halogen, or LED one a few weeks ago. And yet, it’s already burnt out.
Newer bulbs get designed to last for at least a year of continued service, so there’s no reason why it should be out already.
If your new light bulbs don’t remain lit, then it’s receiving uneven amounts of power, forcing it to work harder.
Aluminum wires were the go-to installation choice back in the 1960s. However, they stopped using it in the early ‘70s because it was causing electrical fires.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that wasn’t used in the construction of your home, especially if it’s an older residence or historical building. If you see wires with an AL printed on the casing, you know you need help.
Outlets with Only Two Prongs
Another blast from the past, two-pronged electrical outlets stop getting used in construction in the early 1960s as well. Initially, these systems had included a small ground wire, but modern electrical needs far outpace what it can handle.
Modern outlets have three prongs so that it can use a designated grounding wire, leading to safer device use. If your outlets still only have two prongs, it needs more than a new cover installed by a certified professional.
Lights Continually Flicker
Although flickering lights in the middle of the night is a spooky situation, it nearly always has a reasonable explanation. Unfortunately, the reason behind dimming and flickering lights is often bad electrical wiring.
While it’s possible it could be a light fixture that needs to get tightened or reconnected, most homeowners have this issue throughout their home. And if that is the case, that wires in each room are worn out, it’s a house fire waiting to happen.
Do you feel a slight bite each time you plug in your phone to charge? Shocks, sparks, and electrical arcs forming from plugs are all exposed electrical components.
Not only is this dangerous for your house, but to your family as well. When you have small children, pets, and guests over, they all remain at risk for electrical shocks.
Keep your home safer with a reputable contractor and check their reviews first!
Comments are closed.